Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Aren't the all the same?

So I have to wear nicer-than-jeans to my job. FYI, not a fan of nicer-than-jeans, because "shorts" doesn't technically fit into that category.
.
Anywho...
.
I have chosen Khakis. But the thing is I have tried Khakis from the 3 vendors below.
.
Surprisingly, they are all a very different. I say surprisingly because they are all owned by the same company, right. They should all be reasonably similar? No.
.
Banana Republic's are the fanciest - hence my least favorite. They also have a weird pocket cut that makes me feel (and probably look) hip-y. Guys should never look "hip-y".
.
Now the Gap's are the nicest slim fit. They have a nice wear about that fabric that seems right for Khakis - and they come back lovely from the cleaners.
.
So what's the problem? Buttons. I love button front pants until about my 3rd cup of coffee or diet soda. Then I hate them. You gotta hold everything up in the bath room, and it is a pain to open your pants to pee. And if you are a proud and out gay man who is trying to create a good impression in the work place -fumbling around at the stall is the last thing you want.
.
Now Old Navy's "Broken In" Khakis are great! Of course they run a little small, so you have to buy a size larger and longer than you need - but once you get over the embarassment of the size, they are fine. And cheap!
.
What's the problem. They come back from the cleaner's not so "broken in". You have to wear them a few hours until they scrunch back correctly. I feel badly that I know I am trying ever so hard to break down the very work the cleaners has done, but I like them scrunchy.
.
So there you have today's Khaki advice.