Thursday, March 03, 2011

An Ode to New York at 21 degrees

The Sun shines, rationing its pitiful rays
“sun” should be lower case
The dog hurries along, too cold to sniff much
walking over frozen cracks, turned to yellow
The frozen remains of other dogs
or people
It’s not the heat, it’s the humidity

Passers by give a little nod of hello and a friendly word
Get the fuck out of the way, asshole, dipshit
Occasionally a smile,
Good Morning
Spare some change?
So desperate for some polite notice
I gladly hand it over
I giggle

Gutters frozen, desperately holding on to
used MacDonald’s Wrappers and cigarette butts
Cars ignore lights, people ignore cars
Life ignores us
Police ignore eveything
I laugh
No Eucalyptus or Jacaranda or Palms
too happy and showy for New York
confusing happy and showy with delicate –
New Yorkers are happy to be rid of them
I laugh
manically


I am not sure this is what I signed up for