Wednesday, November 02, 2011

Mascot(s) of the Month: Kelly and Miranda

I have to tell you, I was pulled a lot of ways this month, but ultimately I settled on Miranda Lambert and Kelly Clarkson.
.
Two reasons.
.
Airbush Much?
First, they both released new albums the past 2 weeks and I love them.  I don't listen to radio much (part of living without a car), so I may be a little stuck, but I really do love the voices of these women.  And the message they portray of strong women is applicable to men or women.
,
In Kelly Clarkson in particular, you get the stories of a person left by a lover.  And she isn't after revenge or anger, she is about moving on and being strong.  Of course, living well is the best revenge, so you might say I am wrong - but whatev's.
.
Miranda has a little more edge with her "he-dun-her-wrong" songs, but since he did her a lot wronger in most of her songs, it seems justified.  (If even 1 guy doesn't hit a girl because Miranda made him think maybe that girl has got a shotgun at home - well, I am okay with that).
.
So I like, not just their voice, but their point of view.
.
Second (or Third if you cont the point above as #2, not #1a) their weight.
.

Oh sure, they look great in most pictures, but these are gals that fight the battle of the bulge often and honestly. Kelly Clarkson even called out Shape Magazine when the over airbrushed her.  Miranda complains ever time a new album comes out, because she has to go on a diet of baked chicken and - gasp - steamed vegetables, in order to fit into her outfits.  And she hates it.