Wednesday, March 07, 2012

One Wonders...

So I saw a good show last night, (Eternal Equinox - which I will review tonight on the Reviews Web Site).  But I do wonder about things.  This show was about the "Bloomberg" Group, a click of literary and artistic intellectuals.  And, in this case, meeting with George Mallory, a Cambridge boy that was the first of the climbers of Mt. Everest.
.
What I wonder, was if anyone in the olden days - these people are but an example - were as eloquent as they appeared on stage.  Much of the dialog is based on actual interviews or accounts.
.
Could these people have really talked with such imagery and beauty?  Perhaps they had to in the years before cameras, color film (then video and streaming content).  Perhaps this was how they communicated.  If so, then we have lost something wonderful..
.
To hear this actor use speak the words that the actual explorer Mallory used in Chicago (at a lecture) is a revelation.  He describes Tibet, and Sherpa Clothing and wildflowers in prose that is wonderful.  Maybe you had to do this in the era before pictures.
.
It was a joy to listen to.
.
After listening to this, to come home to hear what passes for discussion on CNN and by our political nominees is just - you know, like totally sad.  You know, IMHO, it doesn't make me want 2 LOL, but to long for what I missed.  I was born the wrong era - but then I would have missed Diet Coke.  So you take what you get and make the most of it.