Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Will youngster even know of "seasonal" fruit?

On Tuesdays, Trevor goes to Doggie Day Care so as not to drive the cleaning lady (is it more PC to say cleaning lady or maid?) so as not to drive Amalia bat-shit crazy as she cleans.
.
That is not the point of this post.
.
The point is, I don't eat breakfast at home on Tuesdays - so I grab it from the cafeteria on Tuesday mornings.  I actually enjoy this because of all the fresh cut fruit - I like a variety and you can' t get that many different types at home without a bunch of spoilage.
.
But I was thinking as I got some strawberries, why are there always fresh strawberries?  I remember growing up, strawberry season was a giant deal.  My grandmother, child of the depression, LOVED strawberry season.  As a matter of fact, all fruit seasons where special to her.  Strawberries, peaches, apricots and plums.. She would announce them proudly.  They didn't grow a lot of that stuff in Illinois / Kentucky in the 1930's, so each year she was excited for them.
.
And she would pronounce the quality of the season, "Strawberries are a little hard this year."  "Too much rain for the peaches."  There was this fascinating connection between food and weather and mood.
.
Now, I love being able to have strawberries all year.  And I don't mind (much) giving up flavor of tomatoes, for regularity of supply.  But I just realized that for some kids in the richer countries, fruit isn't a treat.  You don't love strawberries as they come up once or twice a year.  They are (somehow) produced all the time.
.
I actually remember when Chilean fruit brought a "second" season.  Now there are no seasonal fruits, except for the odd fruits that only 1 area eats (there is still a lychee season and a cranberry season for example).  It is all good and things, but just removes us one step from nature.  Strawberries might as well be french fries now.
.
The just aren't special.  And so, for everything we gain - and I would never give up - there is a cost.  Too bad.