Sunday, April 01, 2012

April Mascots of the Month: Dance Captains

So,  this month we have two Mascots; Spencer Liff and Ryan Steele.
.
These two men are Broadway Dance Captains.  I am impressed by Dance Captains in shows.  I was reminded by this by Ryan Steele, "Specs" and Dance Captain  from Newsies.
Ryan leading the Newsies
.
"What is a Dance Captain?" you ask.
.
Well, they are the Dance Studs that learn all the dance moves, so they can teach new people.  The call rehearsals when the cast needs to integrate someone new - or when the director isn't happy with them.  Generally, they are the best dancers in the cast.

Which is how I first noticed Ryan Steele, "Specs" in Newsies.  He is great.
.
And they can move on to choreography, as did Spencer Liff.  I first saw Spencer in Cry Baby, and he was great.  Then I watched Equus - and Spencer worked with movement for the various "horse" men in the show.
.
Spencer explaining what to do.
Now you can see him occasionally as a choreographer on "So You Think You Can Dance".  I am impressed by these guys.


Spencer (far left) on the horse shoes, with the others in the Equus curtain call.


No comments: