Monday, April 09, 2012

Thomas Kinkade has passed away

So, Thomas Kinkade, the "painter with light" has passed away.  He died in of  "natural causes" at 54.  Which is annoying, since I am 53, and I don't imagine "natural causes" affecting me within 24 months!
.
But, I digress.
.
I am surprised by the vehemence of responses and reactions to his paintings.  Personally, his paintings don't do much for me, but I don't hate them either. In reading round ups of his work and life, it seems lots of Serious Art People are (or were) offended by his work.  Not only that, but they spent hours explaining why they hated his work - perhaps the best way to put it is they think it is simplistic and corny.  I get the impression that Serious Art People do not believe art should be "cozy".
.
I think they over-react.  Art should make you happy.  If being challenged makes you happy, then buy art that challenges you.  If you have enough stress and annoyance in life so that "cozy" makes you happy, but art that makes you feel cozy.  Art is very personal.
.
Personally, I find Thomas Kinkade a little Hobbit-y for me, but I don't dislike it.
.
One the other hand, Ed will tell you the "Art " that I love comes in "Interesting", "Fascinating" and a category that (he thinks) is designed only to annoy him.  Below is an example of that latter, a piece than I find "cozy" and fun.
You know one of you has this at Grandma's House