Monday, May 07, 2012

Up North (part 1)


In addition to lovely weather and a thriving car culture, the greater Los Angeles area is also home to a surprising amount of unattractive natural phenomena; earthquakes, wildfires, mudslides and the USC Trojan Marching Band.
.
But you know what we don’t have?  Disgusting bugs that burrow into your body to steal your lifeforce.  Small arachnids in the order Ixodida – or “ticks”.
.
Our lovely trip to the hamlet of Stone Ridge was wonderful.  We had a great dinner, a nice day at the waterfall and loved the area up there.  Then we had a nice ride home and were ready for dinner at Aldona’s.  And then…
.
And then I noticed a tick on the crook of my arm – inside the elbow.  I wanted to clamly point this out to Ed, and ask him for tweezers.
.
However....
.
It turns out I have a small phobia with regards to small bugs that burrow into me or bite me for no reason.  (Anyone who has suffered through a mosquito outbreak has seen but a small instance of this).  With an insect that sticks it’s head into your veins  to feed  - while it’s little wings flap to get purchase, I did not react well.  And, I admit, not reacting well, might be a bit of an understatement.
.
I believe for the next 5 minutes, the only words out of my mouth were “Get it out. Get it out. Get it out.” As Ed took me to Aldona and Joe’s, I continued to repeat this phrase - apparently I was afraid Ed might forget the reason for our walk to Joe's.  I did, as we turned down the hall, to vary my speech for a moment to… “I want to move home.  Why did you make me come here.” Before returning to the familiar refrain of “Get it out.”
.
I must say Ed responded very well to this full blown panic attack, which was out of all proportion to the tiny blood sucking vampire stuck to my arm.  I really do chalk this up to some phobia now, since I had a freak out in Provincetown over biting black flies and then mosquitos.  I admit, I was just a bit out of control.  I have a very similar response with the dog has a tick.  I probably should confront this.
.
Someday.
.
Or Trevor can just be a city dog.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are stinkin' funny. So that potentionaly fatal tick bite, was it near the same elbow that gets the goiter? Because just thinking about that still makes me light headed. Almost as light headed as that scene in "The Other Side of the Mountain" where they stick screws in Jill Kinmont's skull...oh wait, that wasn't me. --svh

Joc said...

Oh, ticks are just evil incarnate, we have the coolest tick remover because, well. Charlie gets a few a year, which is nature's way of saying "you forgot to put poison on your dog". I've had ticks crawling on me and can't sleep for days. You are completely justified in the panic and desire to get the blood-sucking parasite outta you. Mosquitoes and black flies, on the other hand, are just annoying bugs that also like to take your blood, and maybe a chunk of flesh. That's not as gross as sticking their head under your skin. Scream away! You are entitled. And invest in a $3 tick remover. It gets them to release vs ripping their head off like tweezers do. (Sorry).