Sunday, June 24, 2012

Tirunesh Bibaba - Ethiopian Running Star

I have never been a huge fan of long distance running.  Honestly, it is boring on TV and I can't run more than 2 blocks without spitting like crazy.  So it just doesn't interest me.
.
I mean I could throw a Javelin, and I have raced 100 meters.  But 10,000 meters... ack!
.
Yet Ethiopia produces amazing long distance runners.  Perhaps with better facilities they would produce great athletes in many sports, but you don't need a lot of equipment to train in long distance running.  Tirunesh Dibaba is one of the greats.  Even though she has been on the cover of Running and won 2 Gold medals in Beijing (5,000 Meters and 10,000 Meters), she isn't a common name her.
.
But she is the pride of Ethiopia.  She was the 2008 Track and Field News Athlete of the Year.   But in 2010 she had some serious injuries and was out of training for 16 months.  She is back now and doing well, but we will have to see if she can compete at the top again.
.
Good Luck Tirunesh!
.
It looks easy, but I know that isn't true.

She is called "The Babyface Destroyer"