Monday, August 06, 2012

At the Risk of "doth Protest Too Much"

So I got a comment on my post about Rafalca, which stated that I was driven by Envy of what Romney has, that is why the taxes thing bugged me.  And I want to explain.
.
First, I totally blame myself for not being clear, not whoever posted. Honestly, I appreciate the post and the feedback that comes with it.  The comment was made politely and reminded me that what I think I am saying, is not always how it is perceived.  And the politeness of the poster was wonderful and truly appreciated.
.
If this person thinks I am being envious, then I am not explaining myself well enough.  So I want to be clear.
.
I think it is perfectly acceptable that Mitt Romney pays the least tax he can.  I think everyone tries to do that.  What I object to is the unfairness of the system that allows a multi-millionaire to pay a tax rate 1/2 of mine or most working people.  I am not envious of Mitt Romney.  At a personal level I admire him.
.
But I do think the tax rates are severely unfair, and I object to his proposal to make it more unfair.
.
I object to a system that allows a multi-millionaire tax a $77,000 tax break on a dressage horse in the Olympics.  For me, this isn't an issue of envy, but of fairness.  We can't get firemen to Oklahoma, but we can give a massive incentives for very rich people to park money off-shore.  It is unfair and more than a little offensive to me.
.
Thank you for listening.