Thursday, August 02, 2012

Something fascinating --- and shared....

So I was reading a tribute to Gore Vidal yesterday - I can't remember exactly where, but there was a off-hand comment that caught my eye.
.
It said, essentially, that Gore Vidal was particularly intolerant of purposeful lying to deceive, almost violently intolerant of it.  They attributed this to a parent that drank and hid it.
.
I feel a keen kinship towards this feeling, although for me it is based on a parent that was a pathological liar.  No need to drag my father through the brambles on this again, it was just a fact that he lied for fun and believed it when he said it, and not one second longer.
.
This anger might be particular odd for many to believe, since my mantra has often be:  stick with the lie.  But I mean that only where telling the truth would accomplish nothing but hurting someone else's feelings.  There is no reason to tell Zela her Salisbury Steak makes me queasy - once I have already eaten it.  There is no reason for a young nephew to tell me he is rooting against UCLA in the basketball pool to win money.  These are harmless touches of humanity to keep the gears of community humming.
.
"What a lovely gift!"  "No, I like your hair grey." "Those pants totally do not make you look fat."  "It's alright that Coco pee'd on the floor."  Stick with those types of lies.
.
On the other hand, to claim you didn't know a subordinate was molesting children - that is an evil lie. To say you "retroactively retired" that is an insulting lie to remove culpability.  To say you would run a more transparent government, then jail whistle blowers consistently - that is a lie for political gain.  Those types of lies infuriate me.  (Note: my examples were non-political, right and left, respectively, to show that thisbugs me where ever it happens.  They were not chosen to be "equivalent", I see the first as far and away the worst.)
.
I guess that is another reason I admired Mr. Vidal.  FYI - Ed said he liked his shampoo.

1 comment:

Rinse and Repeat in Wisconsin said...

Go point....I think the little lies that are done to avoid someone feeling pain and suffering fall into the Ahimsa circle and my my inner Buddhist can get behind that easily.

Also....Ed is funny. Hil-hair-ilous even...