Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Visit to the Metropolitan Museum of Art a few weeks ago

When Shelly was here, one of the things we did was go to the Met.
.
I love the Met.  I posted one picture of a dress that was painted in a French Impressionist piece (LINK).   It was a great show, but in reality, the Met is always great.  Here are a couple of my favorites.
.
I have always loved Vincent van Gough.  Here a couple of pictures that are interesting.  The first is "Flowering Orchard" which I don't recall every seeing before.  If I did, I missed the beauty of in.
.
The second is a shot from a room across with 5 van Goughs lined up in a row.  It is just amazing.  If it was a traveling show, I would have waited forever to see these.  Very cool.
 
.
The center picture in detail.
.
Finally, here is a statue called "Mourning Victory".  It was commissioned by a Boston Business man in 1897 for his two brothers, killed in the Civil War.  He allowed the Met to make a copy in 1903.  It is unique because it showcases Victory's duality.  The flag is raised above her in success, but her eyes are downcast, contemplating all the men that died for that success.  So very cool.
.