Wednesday, August 07, 2013

7Aug Daily Picture

I'm starting a new piece today.  I have decided to put a daily picture up of somewhere I have been that has inspired me, challenged me or just made me happy.  They will, in the beginning, be a little long on foreign shots because most of my pictures from travels in the US were made before digital cameras.
.
Daily at 9AM
.
This is an older picture of a trip to Iceland, I think from 2004.
.
Eddie and I went to Iceland one year after I had fantasied about it for a long time.  It was more than I hoped.  This was taken in August (so no, it's never hot in Iceland).  This little waterscape is nothing, really.  It is a very hundred feet from Snellenfoss - a waterfall you can walk behind, but this little place had no name or anything.
.
On the bluff behind Eddie - the top that you can't see is a Glacier.  So in the spring and summer, runoff just leaps off the plateau all over the place.  Iceland interested the geographer in me - with the fascinating topography, the political animal in me - with a legislature that is over 1,000 years old (founded in 999), and the city boy in me.  The entire country has less people than Anaheim CA or Toledo OH or Arlington TX.  And yet the city of Reykjavik is surprisingly cosmopolitan. 
.
But the gentle quiet beauty of the place is what captivated me.