Friday, September 27, 2013

Barilla Pasta doesn't want my business

So, if we (or any gay or lesbian friend) comes over for dinner, please don't serve Barilla Pasta. Not so much that we are boycotting (although we will), but Barilla would prefer not to have "the gays" eating.
.

The world’s largest pasta company found itself in hot water this week when chairman Guido Barilla did an interview on the Italian radio show “La Zanzara” Wednesday in which he declared, “I would never do an advert with a homosexual family.… I would not do it but not out of a lack of respect for homosexuals who have the right to do what they want without bothering others … [but] I don’t see things like they do and I think the family that we speak to is a classic family…. if [gay people] like our pasta and our message they will eat it; if they don’t like it and they don’t like what we say they will… eat another.” And then, just to put the sauce on the ziti, he added, “Everyone has the right to do what they want without disturbing those around them [but] I have no respect for adoption by gay families because this concerns a person who is not able to choose.” Great, so we can now add Barilla pasta right next to Russia on our list of things that people who care about basic human rights should avoid.
.
Well, given that I certainly don't want to upset the CEO / founder.