Sunday, November 03, 2013

A Gorgeous Sleeping Beauty (if a little twisted)

Matthew Bourne, he of the all male Swan Lake fame, has re-imagined Sleeping Beauty.  In this case he has turned it into a gothic style romance as ballet.
.
It was quite lovely.  I had tickets last Tuesday, but I had an stupid interview that went long (AND I didn't get!) but Ed and a friend from work went.  Now, we all know Ed isn't the most enthusiastic of theatre goers, but he loved it and said I should buy another ticket and go.  Since it closes today (Sunday) I got one for yesterday's matinee.
.
Eddie was right, I loved it.
.
Bourne decided that the problem with Sleeping Beauty if the true love angle.  I mean she falls asleep and her "true love" wakes her with a kiss -even though they have never met before.  Not a big romance.
.
Walt Disney solved this but having them meet as children and then having the 100 years of sleep be significantly shorter than 100 years.
.
Bourne solves this by having the hero bitten by the goody fairy and turned into a sweet vampire.  Odd, but workable.
.

He sets Auroa's childhood in 1890, her "coming of age" is in Edwardian England, and then she is awaken in the present day.  I
t was lovely.