Monday, December 09, 2013

Amazing drive through Sutjeska National Park

All my amazing pictures of this national park are going to have to wait.  They are on Eddie's camera (the good one).  But the place was fantastic.

This is a monumnet to the partisans (Tito's resistance) and their (biggest or first) victory over the Nazi forces.  I realize now I should have put scale in there somehow.  But those curves are stairs cut into the hill.  The cut boulders are loke 2 stories tall.

On the way in, the moutains were cloudy, and as dazzled as I was, I couldn't really capture it.  But as I left, at the rise, everything broke.  And voila!  The two big peaks in the distance are the tallest nountains in Bosnia Herzegovina.  The Upthrust on the on left is the same range in an ajoining park in Montenegro.

It was an awe inspiring drive.  Not quite as stunning as Yosemite, but much rawer - and a lot more empty.  I saw maybe 10 cars the whole time.