Wednesday, December 04, 2013

Amazing story re these pictures

So this is the Austrian Officers Quarters, and now the first floor is kind of like the VFW Halls.  But I went in and read some stuff on the walls.  It turns out, it was built as an Officer's cultural hall.  In fact the first use was for a symphony.  Operas were preformed here for years.

Well, I went a wandering and outside the second floor there was a picture of the room inside.  It has frescos on the walls, ancient chandelers, etc.  But it was all closed up.  

And uniformed guard put on his holster and walked over.  And, rather than turn and run, I said the picture looked beauitful.  And he just smiled.  So...

No harm no foul, I asked if I could see it.  And he opened the door.  it was very murky and I could only see the ghosts of the fescos, and then he hit the side lights, and one side lit up and you could see the right hand frescos, then he did it with the left hand side and I gasped.  It was beautiful.

But he wasn't done.  One by one he lite up the chandlers, the procenium lights and the wall scones.  It was the surreal unveiling of a Masterpiece.  If anything, it was more beautiful in person than in the picture.  Much more.  I thanked him and he smiled.  And my day turned from nice to ... magical.