Wednesday, January 15, 2014

So, this was Almost done when I was there - it's beautiful

This Library was almost done when I was there.  It is gorgeous.  I was about to take pictures, but then I thought, "No, it's stupid to take pictures of a Modern library."  Stupid me, today I saw this article:
.

.
Turns out, they were smarter than your average bear.  The Serbs did firebomb the National Bosnian Library destroying a thousand years of history.
.
This Islamic Library is very cool - and named after kind of the founder of Sarajevo (there were small settlements before, but he turned it into the Capital of Bosnia inside the Ottoman Empire).  Much of the city is due to him.
.
The new Library is right next to the Gazi Husrev Bey old home now Museum

The House/Museum facade

The breezeway between the street /Library and Museum
To the left are "exhibition" manuscripts.  The Library is to the right.
Here are my associated photos.
.
Gazu Husrev Mosque - the largest in Sarajevo (and one of the
most traditionally beautiful outside the Middle East) is across the street

This is Gazi Husrev's resting place in the Mosque's next door courtyard
FYI - Bey, Beg and Begova are all variations on spelling of the same word which roughly translates to "Leader" or "President" in today's vernacular.