Friday, January 17, 2014

Wheat Doesn't Work For Me

So I read "Wheat Belly" and gave no-wheat a try.
.
Not for weight reasons - although I hoped that was a good side effect (ps - no so much), but because the book made me think about how much wheat has been changed and manipulated over the years without any testing.  And I wanted to see if going off of it had any effect on me.
.
For me, not eating wheat has had a huge ass effect.  I am not "gluten allergic", meaning I don't freeze up or anything.  However I am massively wheat intolerant.  Like lactose intolerance - it doesn't kill me, but I react badly.
.
Stopping the intake of wheat has eliminated the need for naps (I KNOW!).  I mean I still like a nap and can take them, but I don't HAVE to anymore.  More than once, driving home from the desert, I had to pull over so Ed could drive or stop in a parking lot for a quick 30 minute nap.  I never really understood it, but Ed could see it happen and it was very real.
.
Oddly enough, after a quick nap or a immediate drop into sleep at night, wheat then keeps me awake an hour or so later - and awake all freaking night.  I can't sleep all night after eating wheat.
.
And recently I have realized it screws with my emotions.  I had pizza the other night (pizza I miss - everything else is no big deal but Pizza - I miss your cheesy goodness so...).  I couldn't sleep that night and then was horribly depressed the next day.
.
So there you go - it doesn't effect Eddie at all.  Although he has been really good about putting up with some wheat-free foods for me
.
And Patty-Melts.  I miss pizza and patty-metlts.