Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Grand Budapest Hotel


So, I was dying to see Grand Budapest Hotel.  Eddie and I went this week-end.
.
Eh…  Eddie really liked it, but I wanted more, I don’t know, more something.  I find Wes Anderson movies great, as a rule.  I love the craziness of it all.  I thought Grand Budapest wasn’t quite crazy enough.  Or was too attentive to its own quirkiness.  That seems odd, but Moonrise Kingdom was artificial but pretended it wasn’t – likewise most of his films.  Grand Budapest seemed to relish its artificiality too much.  It wasn’t the sets or anything – maybe the aspect bugged me.  He shot in 3 aspects for 3 story timelines – which seems a little too hand-holdy.
.
But almost everyone was great.  Nice to see Ralph Fiennes doing something good again.  And Tilda Swindon is amazing as always.  And I like hating Adrian Brody – there is something despicable about him that makes me want to root against him. (I felt sorry for King Kong in the end – sorry he lost the girl to Adrian and sorry I had to sit through it).
.
And I did love the models and miniatures.  I thought they were good fun.  It’s not that I didn’t like the movie.  I liked it fine.  But I wanted to love it.  Perhaps I was done in by early (too) positive reviews.  My expectations were too high.
.
Funny story though.  The first credit says it was based (loosely) on the writings of Stefan Zweig.  When we went to Rio for Christmas, I actually took the memoir of
Stefan Zweig. It is about growing up in Vienna during the Hapsburg (Dual) Monarchy.  I quite enjoyed the first part of the book.  But I had to leave it in Rio – I was over my baggage allowance and nothing else would fit in the suitcase.  (I had to choose between 2 books- turns out I chose poorly.)