Thursday, March 13, 2014

Heath Hen - No, it's a Prairie Chicken

I was reading some article about the last of the Heath Hen's - which are extinct.  Someone found 1918 footage of them and ornithologists are all atwitter.  By the way, "atwitter" was a great word until that stupid-ass "twitter" screwed it up for everyone.
.
Anyway.  I think, "Heath Hens" what are those.  And I look at the picture.
.
They are Prairie Chickens.  Well, I love me some Prairie chickens, but I never heard them called "Heath Hens:.  And , since they aren't from Britain, the name makes no sense.
.
Then I was afraid maybe it was my Grandmother's mid-west showing.  And I was afraid Prairie Dogs have a different name - you know like "North American Fat Merkats".
.
But no.  Still Prairie Dogs.
.
After a little investigating, it appears the "Heath Hen" is just a local Eastern name for Prairie Chickens.