Saturday, March 01, 2014

March Mascot Giacomo Balla

Today (March 1) Eddie and I travelled to the Guggenheim to see a show of Italian Futurism.  It was very interesting.  A movement that started geared towards the "New" that was ultimately incorporated into much of Italy in the 1920s and 1930s.
.
Dynamism of a dog - the piece not in the show
Of this movement, much was was contributed by Gaicomo Balla.  The one thing I was familiar with before the show,wasn't in it - but was of a piece - he explored movement and "dynamism" in art, photograph and sculpture.
.
Some it was amazing as noted below.
This piece opened the show.  It is a streetlight at night, which is obvious when you see it, but not obvious if you don't know.  It is about 6 feet tall and stunning.
.
This is actually a photographic piece which looks very abstract.  Until I tell you it is the hands of a violin player with the arc of the bow.
.
The Italian Futurist movement was very interested in machinery.  Bicycles first, then cars and then airplanes.  I loved this.
.
The picture here doesn't really do this portrait justice.  In person the extra large canvas is a painting of a dancer and it is vivid.  So much so, that for me it reminded me of viewing reality through one of those kid's kaleidoscopes.

In the run up to World War I, the Italian Futurists were very much part of the patriotic movement to regain control of Italian lands lost to Austria Hungary.  This is titled "Patriotic Demonstration".
.
I was fascinated by his work.  Particularly since I hadn't ever really heard of the Italian Futurist movement - my Art History education is lacking.  But hey, I can find it on a map!
.
Anyway, he is may Mascot this month for pouring so much emotion into his work.  Below are two images of Giacomo.  I include them so you can see, but for the call out, one must use the self-portrait.
.