Thursday, March 13, 2014

Wow!

So, I love theater (spelled er not re, I'm some British poof), but it is hard to explain why really.  I mean theater can be a lot of fun,  and entertaining - but it's a crap shoot sometimes.
.
Then there are times like tonight.  When I realize why I love theater.  Maybe not "why" so much as how much!  The best of it can touch your emotions in a way that is impossible to turn off.  You can't pause the actors to catch your breath or go to the bathroom - or come back when you're in a different mood.
.
Mothers and Sons is amazing - surprisingly not so much about Mothers and their offspring.  I mean, it is about mothers and sons, but not related those that are relaated  And it isn't really about that.  It's about seeing the person past the noun.
.
And, it is so freakin' close to my life - as written by Terrance McNalley and performed flawlessly (and yes, this is early previews).
.
Tyne Daly shows up 20 years after her son has died of AIDs - but they never reconciled (the son and mom).  She shows up at her  dead son's boyfriend's home.  After 8 years he moved on, married a young man who is perfect - and a little blunt.  They've been together 11 years and have a son.
.
It isn't pat or easy or simple, but it is killer.  It is, emotional and honest and says things I have tried to articulate, but Mr. McNalley writes it beautifully.  Bobby Stegart (in the role of Ed) is as amazing as always.  And Tyne Daly is equal parts horrible and heartbreaking.  And I've never seen Frederick Weller before - but I won't miss him again after tonight.  He was really really good.
.
And Ed is in San Diego, Sam is working and I have no one in New York to go have a drink with and talk about it.  Dang it.