Monday, February 16, 2015

54 Below: Chess

Last night we went to see a group of people sing songs from the musical Chess.  I have never seen Chess - it played only 6 months in New York - before I was a traveler (1988).
.
It was held at a Cabaret called "54 Below".  You can see any number of Broadway people sing there by checking out YouTube and putting in 54 Below.  What is amazing is the singing chops these folks have.  It is below the Roundabout Theater conversion of the old Studio 54 into a theater.  Cabaret - with Alan Cummings is playing there now.
.
Well the basement has been turned into an upscale nightclub.
.
They were all Broadway performers and had gotten together for a night - with only 2 weeks rehearsal - to sing these songs.  We were all blown away.  Eddie and I went with Sam and Val - which was fun because Sam is singing there in a month - so we did get to meet a bunch of people.
.
Both Ed and I (and Val and sam) love the music from the show.  This was interesting because they had different people sing as different characters - there wasn't only 1 Russian - 3 different guys sang his different songs.  So it was wonderful.  A lot of people blew me away, but these two were my favorites.
.
This is Jessica Hendy who sang a couple of our favorite songs - many of the duets with different people.  She sang "Heaven Help My Heart", alone, then sang "I Know Him So Well" and "You and I" with other singers.  She had the pipes to pull off a song alone, but could sync with someone else wonderfully.  She was also very sultry.

.
This is Mike Schwitter - who had runs in Pippin and Next To Normal in the later parts of the show that I missed.  But he absolutely rocked The Arbiter roles in a couple of songs.  Alas, no muscle shirt last night, simply a black suit and black shirt.

.
Rachel Ulanet sang "Nobody's on Nobody's Side" and "Someone Else's Story".  She kicked ass on those songs, and they are Ed's favorite, so -since we stayed after so Sam could talk with his friend the musical director - Ed got to tell her.  She was great.
.
.
Jeremy Kushnier sang the opening as the American and the song "One Night In Bangkok" like a man possessed.  All in all, a fantastic show.  He was, apparently, in Jersey Boys, which I why I never saw him :-).
.