Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Lynn Makes Me Smile (again) Today with a Tree


A few weeks ago Lynn sent me a picture and story about one of the Giant Sequoias .  And it made me smile.  I thought - before I went all rant-y, I would share it so it could make you smile.
.
This is "The President" tree.  At least that is what the UK Daily Mail called it - and Wikipedia.  Wikipedia said it was named after President Harding - so I don't know what it isn't called the President Harding. There is, after all, a General Grant tree and a President Lincoln and a President Monroe, but whatever.
.
Anyway, what makes this amazing is that National Geographic stitched together a number of pictures to get a head on view.  Take a look.  And at the very top there is a man standing in it for scale.
.
Beautiful
.
.
Just in case you wondered.  The Giant Sequoias are in the Sierra Nevada mountains of California (I have been with Eddie, my Grandparents and Lisa).  The slightly taller, but less massive are the Coastal Redwoods, primarily in the Northern Californian Coast, with a few in Oregon and a grove outside of San Francisco.