Thursday, May 07, 2015

A Concerned Citizen Writes....

.
I received this recently from a well-informed and smart young lady.
--
HI Scott,

I read an article in the Tribune yesterday that informed me that only those who took ‘typing’ place two spaces between sentences.  Those who took ‘keyboarding’ use one space.  The more I researched this I find that indeed there should only be one space between sentences and this became the norm somewhere in the 90’s.  Well, this is the first I am hearing of it and I am deeply troubled.  I don’t think I can retrain my fingers! 

Years ago you wrote on Nincompoopery about the Oxford comma.  I am very much against using a comma before the conjunction and am very vocal on this topic.  I am wondering what your thoughts are about this nonsense of the single space between sentences. 

Please advise.

Cheers! 
--
Yes, in fact one space is now the norm.  It is, however, a norm I refuse to follow; I think a double space is still the correct answer.  I chalk it up to laziness and youth's inability to hold a complete thought in their head.
.
The people who bring us this travesty are the same ones that use "thru" for through,  "c u" for see you and "literally" when meaning figuratively.
.
I do have a funny story on this.  My friend Lynn, at the time a paralegal, gave something to a proof-reader at a law firm.  The proof-reader, rather than just explaining the "new" punctuation, struck out every single  double space in a 30 page document with a bright red pen.  It was, I believe, proof of Lynn's patience that she didn't tell this proof reader to pound sand.
.
The best advice I ever got on writing and punctuation was from my USC English TA who said, "The best use of punctuation is that which makes your intent clear!"  Which is why, unfortunately, I tend to use the dash in uncalled for - but helpful - ways.