Thursday, May 21, 2015

Is This a Bizarre Coincidence, or Mormon Propaganda? UPDATED

UPDATE: So my question was answered.  Apparently Brandon Flowers is a big fan of this music and sampled it because he loved it.  Not for any other reason.  Which is cool.
.
Let me start with the comment.  I love Brandon Flowers.  I have purchased both his solo albums and the Killer albums (his group).
.
But this song is either propaganda or a really bizarre choice.  I say Mormon propaganda because a few years ago Brandon Flowers did a big "I'm Mormon" campaign as part of their outreach.
.
It is "I Can Change", about changing who he is for a woman.  Which is great and all.  But he samples Jimmy Somerville's "Small Town Boy" which is about a young man who kicked out his home because he is gay.
.
"I Can Change" - Brandon Flowers

.
"Small Town Boy" - Bronski Beat (Jimmy Somerville)