Thursday, February 23, 2017

Jake Gyllenhaal is Amazing

Jake Gyllenhaal is amazing. There is no other word.

I saw Sunday in the Park With George yesterday. I have seen the original on DVD often, it stars Mandy Patinkin and Bernadette Peters - and I loved it.


The revival stars Jake Gyllenhaal and Annaleigh Ashford. Annaleigh, winner of the Tony for Kinky Boots, is excellent. She is different than Bernadette - which is great. More venerable and just different.

Jake Gyllenhaal is not only different that Mr. Patinkin (whom I love), but better. He shows the pain and anguish underneath more subtly and more believably. And, it is really impossible to believe, has a fantastic voice.  Which just doesn't seem fair. One person should not have that acting ability, voice and presence. I don't even find him attractive, yet I swooned.
Jake Gyllenhaal and Annaleigh Ashford in the staged reading of the show at City Center. This went so well, it was moved to Broadway where I saw it yeterday.

It was fantastic. (Review can't be done in previews - but you know I'll like it.)