Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Opening Day at the US Open

Yesterday I went out to the US Open to watch a little tennis, see my husband and hang with some friends (who are here from Houston!).

Right now, this guy above, Denis Shapovlov is one of my favorites.  He is a young Canadian (kind of - his parents were Russian Jews that moved to Israel where he was born, he grew up and is Canadian). He did great in Montreal, but is so young he doesn't have the ranking  yet, so he had to play into the tournament via the qualifying tourny.  So he played 3 times last week, then a rock solid set yesterday.  This guy is amazing to watch. He can return almost any serve!

 Then Shania Twain gave a mini-concert opening. I must admit to not being a massive Shania fan, but our friends from Houston were so Edie got them in to see her.  She was very good and they were thriled.
And the end of the night, I caught Borna Coric, my little Croatian tennis guy.  He flew out of the gates a few years ago, but has stumbled. Last night he won in straight sets, but it wasn't easy (7-6, 7-5, 6-4).