Wednesday, August 23, 2017

The First Story I Ever outlined....

I was thinking about how long I have been writing or wanting to write.

My childhood babysitter sent me a story I wrote about her (ball-keeping) neighbor back when I was under seven years old. I was not kind to them. It is in storage until after the move then I will share it.

The first long version novel type story I remember wanting to write was when I was in 8th grade - so about 11 years old. I had just been reading something about the British Monarchy. In my reading I found out that the Queen has a lot of power on paper - which she never uses.

Now remember, in 1970, Queen Elizabeth II was still pretty young and dynamic. I have enclosed an image from then below.

Queen Elizabeth in 1972 - Capable of Kicking Ass and Taking Names
And, Richard Nixon was President - we were all a little worried he was going to do something nuts. Turns out, in that case, we were right - but I am getting away of my story.

So having found out the Queen had this legislative power, I outlined a story where she steps in because the British Parliament is going to follow some asinine Nixonian plan to drop nuclear bombs on Vietnam (yes, there were people proposing that in order to end the war). I titled it (because back then titling something made it real) "The Queen Becomes King".

Which, then I thought was very powerful, but now would just be treated as some transgender tome.

And we're off.