Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Time is up in Perast

I’m leaving Perast (and Montenegro) tomorrow. It has been wonderful and surreal.



I know I probably won’t be back.  I have seen most of Montenegro- and as much as I love it, I am not sure I have a good reason to drag anyone back with me.

But wandering the town tonight I am struck by the sense of familiar and comforting. The smell of the sea mixes with the scent of the night blooming Jasmine in a way I only know of in Southern California.  The hills rising up are like the San Gabriels after a winter of good rain.  It is all so familiar and calming, and yet different and fascinating. I can’t really put it into words.  Sort of a deja vu homesickness mixed with surprise.  I sat tonight at a bayside cafe, drank a glass of wine and read my book. I felt like I could do it forever.

Of course, I can’t.  The Esther has been perfect and the hug e crowds of tourists arrive in a few weeks, so i know this is a moment that can’t be recaptured.  But I have loved the moment.

Some pics of the town.





A church and detail from the 1700s.







The main church from the 1700s. And the Clock tower.