Tuesday, November 29, 2011

So someone asked an interesting question

In discussing with a friend that I hate the phone, I was asked if I was an introvert.  Which is hilarious, except maybe not.
.
When I take those personality tests, I am one of those really weird answers - so maybe the question makes sense.  Now, I generally thought my aversion to the phone was a long learned response to my parents divorce and unexpected calls.  I get a little queasy when faced with the phone, particularly if I don't know who it is.  (When I was young, I used to run out of the house when the phone rang.)
.
But maybe the "introvert" question is a good one.  I don't feel like an introvert when I am with people.  In fact, I am fairly extroverted around people.
.
I do worry about saying the wrong thing, or missing a non-verbal clue.  (aside - This may be surprising for those of you that know me to be a verbal wrecking ball, but it is true (less true as I drink which is why I drink less).)  But at least I can SEE what the response is.  I can pull back or plow ahead based on a lot of non-verbal signs.  AND there are normally other people around to at least hear what I say.
.
On the other hand, the phone makes non-verbal clues impossible.  If someone rolls their eyes at me I can't see it (I know, I'm 50+ and if someone rolls I shouldn't give a shit, but old habits are hard to unlearn).  So I am tentative and unfocused on the phone.  I don't know if I am boring them, or they care what I say or if they are offended or what.  And it often seems what I say gets not-heard or misinterpreted via phone.  If it happens in person, I can catch it and react accordingly (hopefully dropping it - but at least I know).
.
And, in my brain, I see to offend people accidentally a lot.  So I have to watch everything I say on the phone and it is exhausting.
.
Just thinking aloud (online).