Friday, February 05, 2016

Ok - Sometimes I am Wrong..

Sometimes, rarely, but sometimes, I am wrong.  And then I must admit it.
.
So... I was having coffee with a neighbor this morning (which is so NOT me, but whatever).  And i was talking about how kids don't have to learn anything anymore with the google and the internet and the attention span of a gnat.
.
And she says, "Well, they maybe are learning differently."
.
I did not argue, although I may have snorted a bit with derision.
.
"For example," she says.  "My grandson is very much an inventor."
.
Now you, like me, probably nod and go, Of course, everyone's grandchild is brilliant.  But my neighbor continued...
.
"He invented this toothbrush" and she shows me " that screws onto a toothpaste bottle.  He had a hard time squeezing the toothpaste onto the brush when he was five - a big glob would pop out, so he had the idea to have the toothpaste come out through the brush.  And he sold it to Quirky. "
.
So yeah, I felt like a bit of an idiot.
.
There is a funny follow up to this, but the main story is - okay, maybe all kids aren't coasting by.  And yes, that's a picture of him on the front - Houston Diaz.   Unfortunately Quirky has gone bankrupt through no fault of Houston's, so you can't buy them right now, but good idea, right (and patented... "Yes, that's right.  I got my first patent at 5."