Monday, April 16, 2018

Why Trump Should NOT Be Impeached

I could not agree more with James Comey regarding the possible impeachment of Donald Trump.
-----
Former FBI Director James Comey hopes President Donald Trump isn’t impeached. 
“I’ll give you a strange answer,” Comey said when George Stephanopoulos asked about the issue in an interview that aired on Sunday night. “I hope not because I think impeaching and removing Donald Trump from office would let the American people off the hook and have something happen indirectly that I believe they’re duty bound to do directly.”
Comey then urged Americans to “stand up and go to the voting booth and vote their values.” 
He added: 
“We’ll fight about guns. We’ll fight about taxes. We’ll fight about all those other things down the road. But you cannot have, as president of the United States, someone who does not reflect the values that I believe Republicans treasure and Democrats treasure and Independents treasure. That is the core of this country. That’s our foundation. And so impeachment, in a way, would short circuit that.”
Comey also said he wanted special counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation into possible collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia to continue. 
“...As a citizen, I think we owe it to each other to get off the couch and think about what unites us,” he said.
-----
To me, this is the heart of the matter and what has cut deep into my soul. The America I learned about treasure is about more than simply winning the Presidency. And what Trump has done is destroyed that view of America.

He has attacked our institutions, our form of government, our media, the truth and the values we hold dear even if we stumble (equality and rule of the law). This needs to be rebuked not in a stupid impeachment process, but by Americans themselves for the future of the country.