Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Scariest Drive in ... EVER

Yesterday I drove from Cetinje back to Kotor over the mountain. They said the ride was tough, but  but they were working on a new road.

So I left Cetinje and the road was great.  New, wide (too new for speed limit signs - so quick too). It’s about 1,000 feet up from Cetinje and then around 3,000 ft (1,000 meters) down to Kotor.

Beautiful views, life was a dream.  Until the top. At the top they  built a new tunnel.  It was not finished, but they waved me through. It was dark, unsaved and unlit.

But that was the best of the rest.

I came out onto a road that was about 1.25 lanes wide, with a 3,000 ft drop on one side with intermittent barriers (those being rock - except where they had been run into over the years - there nothing).





Yes the picture above is from the lane closest to the wall.  You may say, hey - you were on the hill side not so bad.  Nope there were hairpin turns. A few. 24 exactly (they were marked). It was fucking scary as hell.  No real place to turn around, but I did think about it and the 2.5 hour drive to go the other way!


It did get wider at the hairpin turns.  But look at that drop!!!!




About a third of the way down, there was a wide scope where I stopped to take this picture.

So it was freaky and bad, but then - a bit past where I took the picture above, there was a bus stuck trying to pass a group of cars. A BUS!!!  A tour bus!  What the hell.  After 10 minutes of excruciating back and forth, with cars going up and down having to back up, the bus got past. Then we all passed the bus on one of the hairpin turns.  The bus took it wide and we all cut underneath.

I thought I was going to wet myself.



The bus and the backup.