Tuesday, May 01, 2018

Mascot of the Month: Michael Wylie

Michael Wylie is a production designer of shows that I adore. And he is, I believe, one of the reasons I adore them so much.

He creates the space to ground the most bizarre and unbelievable stories, by giving them a physical dimension to live in. We can more easily believe a woman's who's touch raises the death, when it is played in the happy chirpy world of Pushing Daisies. Along with Dan Steven's, the world Legion inhabits test our boundaries of reality, fantasy and delusion. The stylized world of Agent Carter let's you know it is a memory as wish fulfillment. And the sets of Masters of Sex take you back to a history that probably never existed, past our imaginations.

In short, the worlds which Mr. Wylie creates allow the inhabitants (actors, if you must) to react organically within their context.

LEGION Pictures



 

It is wonderful.  His web site has images of the sets, empty. But for me, they really take on life when the characters are inside the world, as his vision is normally another character itself.

PUSHING DAISIES Pictures

Exterior and Interior of "The Pie Hole" - The Pie Shop at the center of the story

 
That is why he is Mascot of the Month, because he takes me away from normality for a few hours and let's me live in a life of better people, happier endings and old Hollywood Glamour.

AGENT CARTER Pictures




My Aunt Jane used to talk about working the Cigar Counter at the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel in the 1930s. I've been and the reality doesn't match my imagination. I am sure Mr. Wylie's version would more directly match my (and Aunt Jane's) mind.

Master of Sex pictures



THE TICK pictures (original)