Friday, March 20, 2009

Headline is misleading

The headline below is very misleading.  Don't get me wrong, I am thrilled UCLA won.  But to say that "Defense saves day.." implies that defense was the key.
.
Maybe, but you know why it was the key?  Because we MISSED OUR LAST FIVE LAY UPs.  Maybe if our Defensive Whiz of a coach ever practiced offense, then defense wouldn't have to be the only thing that saved the day.
.
LAY UPS - hell, I can make a lay up 50% of the time and I haven't touch a basketball without getting sweaty palms since I was 10.
.
And, just by the by, why did the ball get to their play maker with 11 seconds left in the game, and UCLA up by only 1 point.  We had been up by as many as 12 quite recently, but then we moved into our vaunted "stall" game.  By the time the game ended we won because VCU's jumper hit the front rim.
.
In addition to missing 5 layups, we couldn't hit a basket from the outside either.  They fouled us and we made free throws (thank goodness - apparently we can score if everyone has to stay away from our guys!).  And we did make 1 dunk.  But at the end of the game, up by 1 point, we had a "shot clock violation".
.
That means we didn't get a ball anywhere near the rim for 35 seconds.  We played keep away ("hey we are up by 1 point with 45 seconds left") and then tossed up an air ball.
.
Again I am thrilled we won.  And I suppose I can't just blame Howland.  But I think he should have that team out practicing lay ups today, and maybe the odd jumper from inside the arc.  Just my feeling.
.