Tuesday, April 30, 2013

The More I Read About Food - The Less I Like It

First let me say, I am an omnivore.  I tend to like food.  A child of Southern California with backyard peaches, plums, apricots, oranges and more, I like fruits.  I like vegetables.  True, I grew into vegetable love - and still can't stand lima beans (they're not beans, and they aren't from Peru - they are like giant stale peas!).  And I like meat.  Beef, chicken, pork, even lamb.
.
But in reading about staying healthy as you get older, you can't help but read about food.  And there is very little about food that is fun to read.
.
Horror stories about the way we feed animals.  Horror stories about the way we process foodish items into food.  Horror stories about fertilizers, pesticides and farm runoff.
.
And you can't damn everything equally or I would live on glazed donuts and diet coke.  So I sift through the reams of conflicting stories and try to eat better.  And it works.  A little.
.
But am I losing a little weight and feeling better because I am eating better or because I am eating less?  And if it is eating less, is it because I am making a deliberate choice or does food just kind of gross me out now.  (A little of both I think).
.
As for natural, things are funny.  The freer the range the chicken, the better the taste.  Factory chickens are bland, California chickens (where the cages have to be bigger by law) are better, free range chickens are really tasty.  That is the only meat I can tell the real difference in.  I can't tell free range beef for farm beef.
.
But "heirloom" vegetables from farmer's markets aren't always tastier than regular vegetables.  Sure, the tomatoes are better, but the carrots, onions and potatoes aren't always better.
.
And I hate thinking about food.  HATE IT.  But again, the alternative is glazed donuts and diet coke, and I really can't eat that all the time anymore.  Knowing about food is one of the things that takes the fun out of it.