Monday, June 16, 2014

My Review of The Laramie Project

So, here is my review of The Laramie Project.
.
I have to say, I was really surprised by it.  I expected a very sad dissertation on what happened in the Matthew Shepard case.  Instead it was a really great portrait of a Western town and the people therein who got stereotyped by one horrifying incident.
.
It was very very good.
----------------------


--------------------------
LINK to the rest of it
.
It hit home for me because it was, in a way, like the Rodney King riots.  I mean, like the riots (like the Matthew Shepard murder) ended up painting an entire city as lawless and evil.  I actually watched the riots and had to move back home after them because I ached for my city.
.
Listening to the towns people stories was touching.  What happened wasn't this Western Live and Let Live town.  In part it was an isolated incident, but in another way the town did have to change.
.
Maybe that makes no sense, but I loved it.