Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Why does every state get 2 Senators except New York....

Every state it in the US gets 2 Senators. Except New York.  We get Senator Kristin Gillbrand (whom I love) and we give our other spot up to Israel, who gets Charles Schumer.
.
Senator Chuck has decided not just to attend Bibi's Republican Dog and Pony show, but to urge others Democrats to attend and to urge President Obama to talk with Bibi while he is here.
.
I love his public answer, "I don't know" if President Obama should meet Bibi.  This is like telling Charlie Brown that Lucy will really hold the ball this time.

.
Look, I am understand the close and wonderful relationship between the US and Israel.  I admire most of their policies, their democracy and defend their right to self-defense.  And, I think it is perfectly reasonable for Bibi Netanyahu to want to undermine the world's talks with Iran.  As a matter of Israeli security, it might make sense (although Mossad would disagree).
.
What annoys me is that Charles Schumer is promoting Israeli interests over American interests.  He is welcoming a foreign politician who has  inserted himself in the last election for the opposing party and is publicly rebuking President Obama.  I may not love Obama, but I damn sure don't love a Senator from my party that chooses a foreign power over the US.
.
And Chuckie isn't content to simply spit on the President and the process here.  No, he has to go on record to encourage other Democrats to spit on the global peace process as well.  To join the Republicans to embarrass President Obama.
.
So Charles Schumer has chosen Israel and the Republicans over the chance for a negotiated settlement with Iran.  Which, duh, the whole point of sanctions was to get them to the negotiating table. Why deny us all the chance to finish negotiations?