Thursday, January 07, 2016

I Feel The Bern - But...

Age brings a certain realism that was, in my youth, referred to pessimism.  I remember being thrilled about a candidate - only to have people tell me that they would never get very far (Jerry Brown in 1976  for Democratic Candidate - and who finished 2nd in the popular vote).
.
And I remember that the old people (a demographic I am now sadly part of) saying it would never happen.  And, if Jerry did, somehow, get the nomination he would never win.
.
I scoffed at their inability to vote their convictions.  To force themselves vote for a possible winner instead of voting with their heart and head (he was an actual winner as it turns out, Jimmy Carter).
.
So I understand the hope for Bernie Sanders.  The drive for Bernie Sanders.  The dream and fervor that Bernie brings out.
.
But Bernie can't win.  Bernie wants to make public university college education free and shore up medical insurance.  Both, great ideas.  Both, ideas I love.  Both, losing ideas with the troops of voters who think any public program is a give away of free stuff.  Even if he won, both ideas that would go no where.
.
So yes, in my realistic way, I will be voting for Hillary.  Pragmatic, tough as nails Hillary.  A leader who will take no prisoners, harbor no dreams of being a uniter, but will get some shit done.