Wednesday, March 23, 2016

My Grandmother Turned 100 last week


My Grandmother on my mom's side turned 100 this year.  She was recently in the hospital with a stroke and seizures.  I was lucky enough to be out at La Costa with Ed's work.  She lives less than 3 miles away, so I got to see her.
.
In the picture above is (top row) my younger brother, my Uncle (mom's brother), me with (bottom row), my brother's wife, my grandmother and my younger sister.  It was a nice visit, but tiring to her.
.
In many ways it is very hard for me to relate this older woman with the person I remember.  Below is a picture of her at 90.
.
"The Grandkids" on her 90th.
At 90 she was still the cantankerous woman I remember.  The woman who cursed loudly, harbored grudges for decades and drank bourbon on the rocks.  She was mean and nasty, but that is just who she was and you had to admire that.
.
The saddest part is that woman is still in there - giving shit to her son - but is harder for her to come out.  Happy Birthday Donna.