Monday, January 24, 2005

Can I just say

My first big trip to Asia was Singapore a couple of years ago, and it changed my outlook on Asia. Well, I am back and it has changed my outlook on Singapore. Singapore is Asian just like Beverly Hills is North American. Technically, it is - but in reality Singapore is a western city. A RICH western city.

And it shows. Singapore is a big Urban City as designed by a benevolent Orange County dictator. Everything is pretty, functionaly and whatever isn't either of those is illigal.

But the people are happy, well off and the trains, metro, water and airconditioning all work. It is truely the best arguement for a authoritarian regime you will ever see. No one is downtroden. No one is homeless and the people are happy. There are Burger Kings, Outback StakeHouses, malls, hypermarkets (that Frenchie Calouflluer or however it is spelt). There are English bookshops. It is surreal. And pretty. You can never forget what a pretty city it is. It might be the only truely Tropical City I have ever seen that doesn't have a lot of run down areas.

I think I will be glad to get out of Dodge.