Monday, March 28, 2005

A good week-end

I was torn on this entry. Torn by two options.

The first would be to question the National News. Eddie and I usually watch the news - and rarely have I felt so divorced from reality as this week-end. Are the people in wheel-chairs in front of Terri Schivo's hospice honestly afraid we are going to kill them next? Do I give a shit what Micheal Jackson says to Jesse Jackson on Sunday Radio? With the crap coming out of Washington do I really believe it when the White House says the everyone in the country really does approve of Social Security Changes?

I don't think it is just LA, or the West Coast, or the Blue States or anything. I think that the "news" is becoming nothing. Really, nothing of note or interest or discussion. Just a constant background hum while you do the dishes, make dinner or put the kids to bed.

I liked it when Gilligan's Island and I love Lucy where the background. I like it better when I play Friends in the background. I liked it better when used car commercials were the background.

But then I decided no, I am not going to spin in on some bad news death spiral. Instead I will note that we had a great week-end. This week-end, Bradly, Lynn, Gavin, Micky ,Eddie and I were in the desert and hung out. We spent a good-deal of it at Muffin's - having fun on Friday and playing water volleyball on Saturday.

The sun was amazing on us (Eddie got a little burned) - our friends were fun to hang out with and all the dogs (True, Hastings, Ashrod, Sammy and Jake) got along as well. The margaritas flowwed.

It was a big Dinah Shore Week-end in the desert. Which, for the TV audience, means the Nabisco Women's Golf week-end. For lesbians around the country it means PAR-TEE in Palm Springs. When we went to Muffin's (Terri) she had a gaggle of girls around the pool. We were there for 4 hours and I think everyone enjoyed it. The fact we all played water volleyball slowed the drinking down. The fact that there were boys and girls made us all be a little nicer and little less bitchy. It was GREAT.

And then there was the basketball. I wanted Arizona to win (so the Pac-10 didn't look like a conference of losers) -but they blew it. Eddie and I were ready for Wisconsin to be blown out, but they looked really good. North Carolina looked better, but Wisconsin did them-selves proud in my book. We will not mention UCLA - except to say once again - he isn't the Mascot of the Month for nothing.

However, note to self - We all play cards to win. Remember that it is a friendly game, but not a love fest baby :-).