Tuesday, October 17, 2006

My friend Katherine

So, my friend Katherine had horrible news. I wrote about her, her husband and young daughter visiting us in the desert a few years ago (she was my friend from an internet company who is an amazing woman). Her husband died and it hit me and Eddie a lot harder than we expected. Here's is Eddie's note and the lesson he learned...

------

ok, i can't get it out of my brain. Taylor died.

You see, i didn't know Taylor all that well, but in fact i did. Katherine loved Taylor. As the story goes, she met him in college and at some point turned to her friends (in a bar, I'm assuming) and told them she was going to marry him. She did. They have a beautiful daughter who is now ten. Taylor was bodysurfing and an unimaginable accident happened.

Scooter and Katherine worked together for years. He loves her. Her put up with her pumping breast milk for heaven sake. She and Scott are a lot alike. Funny, stubborn, convinced that "their way is the only conceivable way", and they both have an amazing ability to cope. I'm not sure I could. She is incredible.

I am writing this partly because it brings a flood of memories of those I've loved and lost. Me being selfish here... Chris, Megan, Lauren: still hurt on occasion. Ashford and Hasting: still hurt regularly. Time passes, it still can hurt. You decide who and why, but it still hurts.

Here is why I'm really writing. Hug the people you love and tell them you love them. It is that simple. The world spins fast....appreciate what you've got.

Katherine and Butter-Bean...we love you.

goodnight.
Ed