Friday, February 23, 2007

Did 'cha know...Eve Arden was on Broadway (a long time ago)

You see, I love Eve Arden. I always have. Not the horrible Grease and Grease II Eve Arden...



No, I love the wise-cracking, funny Eve Arden. I think about this because she was only nominated once for an Academy Award (for Mildred Pierce).



In Mildred Pierce (above with Joan Crawford - who won, and Ann Blythe - who later sold Hostess Twinkies) she played Ida Corwin. She had two great set of lines in one scene.

First:
Joan to Eve: "You've never been married, have you Ida?"
Ida: "No, when men get around me they think big-sister type. You know, 'Good Old Ida, you can talk it over man to man with her.' I'm getting awful tired of men talking to me man to man, I think I'll have drink too."

Second:
To Mildred (Joan C) about her daughter Veda (Ann B):
"Veda has convinced me that alligators have the right idea, they eat their young."

She was great in the movie and should have won. I meet her during a book signing and told her so, and she was touched by my comment. She was a gracious funny woman. I liked her.

Well, in bumbling around the Internet, I found that she was on Broadway with Bob Hope in the Ziegfeld Follies of 1936. He sang to her on stage. The picture below was autographed to Bob from Eve. No big deal, I thought it was cool.