Sunday, March 02, 2008

Well, I warned you. Mascot for March




I did warn you all yesterday about Sasha Artemev. He is the Mascot of the Month for March. I say this because he was thrilling to watch yesterday. And I will see him in Beijing. And, as stated, I said there would be a Olympics theme until I go in August.
.
Now, am I pleased to say the little shit is only 23? No. It does not please me to know that his father competed for Russia in 1984 (missed the Olympics because of the boycott) and that dad is no doubt younger than I. However, I have a feeling that is the way it will be at this Olympics in general.
.
At LA, in 1984, I was a contemporary of the athletes, and friends with more than a few of them. In Beijing, I may be a contemporary with some of them. The coaches and announcers.
.
But Alexander /Sasha Artemev is Mascot for a couple of reasons. First, he thrilled me on the Parallel Bars and the Horizontal Bar yesterday. He took a total digger on a release move in warm ups, but nailed it live. That is just fun.


And, although I missed it yesterday, he is killer on the Pommel Horse. I LOVE the Pommel Horse. Apparently Sasha is our first medal winner on the Horse since Kurt Thomas in 1979 (at the world cup). And, at the 1984 LA Olympics Tim Dagget won the only Pommel Horse US Medal ever.
.
The Pommel Horse is a tough piece of equipment, that is hard to understand when you watch it. The gymnast is not allowed to ever stop and hold a movement (unlike the floor, rings or bar equipment - where it is a requirement to hold the pose). And so the rhythm, the dismount the tricks are all significantly harder to manage, because you can't do one, then the next, then the next. You have to constantly think of your stream of work.


Anyway, I cannot wait to see him again in Beijing! So Sasha, your this month's Mascot.