Monday, October 13, 2008

Skateboards Invade Broadway: Updated


It is hard to get a great idea of this, because it was very quick and very odd. Eddie and I were walking up Broadway on Saturday morning after lunch. It was really early for New York (about 12:30) and a skateboarder on a longboard whooshes by us.
.
I commented on how fast he was going. And a few seconds later a couple more did. Then a bunch more came swing by with full car traffic. Everyone going really fast.
.
I had my camera and shot this picture, but it doesn't show the true weirdness of it all. I mean there were probably close to 100 skateboarders or more intermixed with regular traffic, tour buses and taxis.
.
I don't know what it was. Many of the participants were older (like 40+) and many were probably fairly recent boarders - you could tel from the scrapes. I think it might have been one of those guerrilla art installations (like the freeze in Grand Central last year or the twins on the subway).
.
Eddie found the web site for this stunt...