Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Of course I just make it up!

Over the course of this last 18 months, my company (as you may have heard) has laid off any number of people (right now I think we are at about 30- 40,000).  In doing so they also closed the LA office and moved the internal financial billing group to Blue Ash, Kentucky.
.
So I fill out the billing information, which to me is like "Citibank England" or Citibank Germany".  Well I get a call from the billing gal today who says, "Do you just make up names?  I don't have a Citibank Germany."
.
Well, yes I do make them up as short hand to where you need to bill.  You see pumpkin, I don't know all the right names (FYI Citibank Germany is "Citibank Privatkinden Aktiengensellschaft - Consumer Bank" - so it shouldn't be a big surprise that I don't know the official names.  That is kind of your job.)
.
Apparently when new people take over the job, the old people 1/2 a continent away aren't just brimming with enthusiasm to tell them what to do.  This was particularly true in billing where the great minds behind the layoffs have figured out that if they laid off billing people in LA in May, they don't have to hire new ones until September.  
.
That makes the transition questionable and takes Scooter's frayed nerves right to the breaking point.  But good job saving 4 months of pay.  The bills that go out June - September are all late and the new people don't know who to talk to.
.
Id-e-ots.