Saturday, January 31, 2009

Hold Me Close Young Tony Danza

The above quote is from Friends and what Pheobe thought the song "Hold me closer tiny dancer" actually said.
.
I have that problem myself occasionally. I thought "Waterloo" was "Wanting You".
.
And I just found out that I was wrong about a play name. I always thought it was "Morning Becomes Electric", like ... you know.. electricity is in the air.
.
Turns out, just down the street is the play "Mourning Becomes Electra". Turns out it is a reference to a person and death! Go figure!
.
Here is part of the Wikipedia entry, and let me just say, it doesn't seem anything like an electric and exciting morning...
.
The story is an update of the Greek myth of Orestes to the family of a Northern general in the American Civil War. Agamemnon is now General Ezra Mannon, Clytemnestra is his second wife Christine, Orestes is his son Orin, and Electra is his daughter Lavinia. As an updated Greek tragedy, the play features murder, adultery, incestuous love and revenge, and even a group of townspeople who function as a kind of Greek chorus. Though fate alone guides characters' actions in Greek tragedies, O'Neill's characters have motivations grounded in 1930s-era psychological theory as well. The play can easily be read from a Freudian perspective, paying attention to various characters' Oedipus complexes and Electra complexes.